Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Speaking Your Truth: Satya

I went through my first 200-hour yoga training almost two years and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Throughout the training we have many lectures we have to attend to understand different elements of what it takes to be a yoga teacher. One of my favorite lectures was on the 8 limb yogic path. The 8 limb yogic path forms the structural framework for the yoga practice. Yama (universal mortality) is the first part of the path. The assignment for this lecture was to pick one yama or niyama (personal observances) and focus on it for the endurance of teacher training. I chose Satya, speaking your truth. Two years later of talking about speaking your truth I do not fully understand what that means... speaking your truth does not just mean being honest. Sure that is part of it, but it's more so about being authentic with yourself and having your own wisdom. Baptiste shows us that you are your own teacher, that yoga is a path shared by many and that while on this path you must create your own and know what is right for you. "Yoga is about discovering your essential and authentic self, not someone else's."

I think that as humans our ego gets in the way of being able to speak our truth. Traditionally, there were not postures, or asanas, in yoga. It was all praise and meditation. It wasn't until we realized that to move energy you must move your body, that postures were created. The combination of westernizing this practice and being raised under social constructions of pride and ego, it can be challenging to stay focused on the mat without comparing yourself to your neighbor. I by no means think I am a better person because I can concentrate on my own practice and not care if the person next to me is doing something more challenging. This is not hard for me. But then again there is a huge difference between the physical and emotional practice. I have the ability to stay within the realm of what is good for me and know what my body needs and doesn't need in the day. The harder part is taking that strong and powerful feeling off the mat. How is it possible that I can stay authentic with myself and my needs while practicing yoga but when faced with conflict it is harder?

Recently I have been faced with a situation that is challenging me to be authentic, and I am telling you... holy crap, not easy. In this particular case, being authentic means being able to articulate with words what I need for myself and from this person. Standing your ground not from a place of ego but from compassion and self respect. I think there is a lot fear behind being truthful to yourself and to others. Who are we going to hurt, what risk do we take in being truthful? How do you come to a place of acceptance with your words and intentions? Yoga can definitely help to express thoughts and intentions, however it is by no means the answer. By creating awareness around the things you need to do for yourself and then acting on them is the only way to achieve anything. Otherwise you are left in a place of questioning and dissatisfaction. I honestly believe if you have the strength to practice all of this on your mat, it's possible to bring it out into some real conflict. It comes down to a matter a self discipline, a life long path.

If you haven't picked it up yet, start reading Baron Baptiste Journey Into Power, because like I say, everybody needs a little help with articulation sometimes...


No comments:

Post a Comment