Friday, March 15, 2013

Kale//Smoothies//Yum

After having quite the indulgant weekend, I decided to listen to my advice from last week and focus on nutrition. If you are like me and you are hungry ALL the time but also have issues with blood sugar, this will be good for you. I LOVE oats and oatmeal and granola and cereal and all that good stuff. With breakfast being the most important meal of the day, for many reasons, I usually try and eat some form of oats every morning. There is a downfall however, of eating that food group on its own. They say oatmeal is good because it has a low glycemic index, but ironically it spikes my blood sugar like none other and sends me into a quick hypoglycemic episode within twenty minutes. I have tried adding forms of protein, taking away added sugar, and even lowering my portion of oatmeal and piling it with chopped nuts. Still though it doesn't do the trick. I only have bad blood sugar issues in the morning so I decided it was time to play with options and still get my oats :) So that's where kale and a blender become your best friend. The following are my list of recipes for the week. They have completely changed the way I feel and think during the day....it's pretty awesome. Not only does my blood sugar remain balanced, but I also stay full longer and don't have cravings for pastries!!

Monday:
1 Banana, half an apple, half cup oats, 3 leaves of kale, part almond milk, part water.

Tuesday:
Half an avocado, 3 leaves of kale, 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup almond meal, 1 Tbsp raw honey, almond milk.

Wednesday:
Half an avocado, 3 leaves of kale, 1/4 quinoa, 1Tbsp raw honey, 1/2 cup blueberries, almond milk.

Thurdsay:
Ran out of Kale and made this guy. Half an avocado, raw cacao, handful of walnuts, 1/4 pepitas, 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1/4 coconut flakes, almond milk.

Friday:
1/2 cup raw oats, 1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds), 1/4 coconut flakes, 1/2 an apple, 1/2 an avocado, dash of cinnamon, almond milk.

Many people have asked how I blend it, and I just use a Kitchen Aid blender that has a "liquify" button on it. Super yummy! Please post comments if you have any questions! You can also email me at lionheartwholeliving@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment