Saturday, August 31, 2013

You Can Do Anything For 30 Days: A Challenge

I am involved in a lot of things within health and wellness. I really enjoy being in the field, and I love studying health and nutrition, it excites me. I am always up to try new things and always willing to make a change, as hard as it may be. So for the month of September I have made a commitment. I will be participating in The Whole30. What is it? Well, it's not a diet, but more like a cleanse. It has similarities to the Paleo diet, but it has different rules. You can think of it more as a reset button for your body and your mind. Here is what I cannot eat for 30 days:

Sugar.
Caffeine.
Alcohol.
Grains.
Dairy.
Legumes.

And that's not all because it is more detailed than that. Like honey... NO HONEY!

For some reason we have decided that we cannot doing something this "crazy" for 30 days. I am not sure what the big deal is, our culture of confusion I suppose... too many things to choose from and not enough structure and discipline. But I am going to do this, and there will be struggles, but one day at a time and September will be over sooner than I know it. I hope.

The upside to all of this is that I am not the only one doing it. A good friend of mine has put all of this together and there are now over 30 other people participating in The Whole30. Knowing I am not alone makes it so much better.

So why am I doing it?

First: I believe everybody can always be healthier, including myself. I am always looking for ways to improve my eating habits, and by cutting out a lot of variables I will be able to resolve what works and doesn't work in my body.
Second: I am doing it because I have a future career in health coaching. I think it's really important to speak about something when you've had a first hand experience. Often, people voice their opinions without having a personal relationship with it. It's easy to talk, but challenging to lead by example.
Third: I have never fully committed myself to this sort of discipline. I've claimed it in the past, but I have never actually succeeded. My friend, Bri, can tell you that I definitely ate Froyo the whole time we were on the wellness cleanse. So I want to show myself I can do this, and clients.

So tomorrow, Sunday September 1st is the day. I will keep everybody posted on my progess including weaknesses and successes. You'll know everything.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment